The PaperTrading module is a trading simulator. Each user understands that it does not in any case allow the creation of real orders. Any order, gain or loss must be considered as virtual. The PaperTrading module is only a decision-making tool. Each user is solely responsible for all their own trading operations and portfolio management.
The PaperTrading Module makes trading visual: orders are placed, displayed and modified directly on the charts. This makes trading easier and allows better management of positions and strategies.
Every order is visually represented by a line drawn at its the price level. Line color and width change depending on the order's status:
- A thin grey line is used for pending orders
- A bigger blue line is used for open positions. The line represents the average price (useful for cumulated positions)
On the left side of each order line, a tab illustrates the most important information concerning the order:
- Color: green for buy orders, red for sell orders, grey for orders being processed
- Volume & price: shown as quantity at (@) the current price level. The price level can evolve in case of oblique orders
- The eye shows the order's status:
The order is visible from the market and available in the bid/ask list of the order book. These orders are recorded on our servers and may be processed even when your session is closed.
The order is stored in the workstation only and is not visible from the market (so called "soft" orders, examples include oblique orders and orders associated to alerts). These orders will be deleted if they have not been executed when you close the workstation.
- Order type: Buy/Sell and Stop/Limit, are mentioned only if the order is pending.
- Latent gain: the current gain or loss of your open position.
- Red cross: allows you to quickly exit an open position or delete a pending order.
- Order validity: a yellow dot is displayed on the bar on which the order was placed. For a pending order, the length of the line represents the validity of the order set in the order: until the end of the day, until a specific date or no limit.
- Modify: the icon allows you to modify the price level of a pending order. Click on the icon and the line will follow the cursor of the mouse until you click a second time. The order will be set at the new price level, while the other settings remain unchanged.
It is also possible to modify an order by right-clicking on the line and selecting the "Modify" option. A new window (see image below) will allow you to modify the quantity and the price associated to the pending order.
Order lines can be curved or straight. You can choose the order display mode from the "Trading" Menu by selecting "Preferences" and then "Trading details on charts" (see image below).
- Choose the curved line icon (left) for a curved line style.
- Choose the straight line icon (right) for a straight line style.